It is very strange to write this, however, I feel like I’ve just been born again, to a world I love and desire, and I’ve been thinking longingly about. I want to thank Gerry for this wonderful article on how to write better. Here are a few of my favourites:
73 Ways to become a better writer
1. Become a blogger - why, of course
2. Use self-imposed word limits – I try to stay under 500 words, though I’ve gone over many a time. Perhaps I should aim for 400 instead. Wordcount on this post, less than 300!
16. Challenge yourself: write in a crowded cafe, write on the toilet, write for 24 hours straight – I do love a challenge.
17. Take a trip. Road trips, beach trips, bus trips, plane trips. – YES. Let’s do it!
22. Go back and cut 10% from your word count - oh my, that will be tough, but I do love a challenge. Oh wait, there are some redundent words I could cut out. These sentences too. Darn.
23. Talk to people - why of course. This is something else I’ve missed terribly.
35. Read your old stuff and acknowledge how far you’ve come – and how far you have to go. – I believe I’ve done a better job of cutting out the excess, though I know I could be better. I am inspired by others who write so brilliantly that reading their writing feels like an honour.
52. Work on brilliant headlines - oh, that would be a GOOD one. Help? Anyone?
65. Approach writing with gratitude - I have never appreciated writing more than I have the last few days. It is part of my lifestyle in the same way that I need to eat and sleep to stay healthy, happy and be fulfilled.
Check out the article and let me know which ones make you go hmmm.